Don't store or dump poisons that can harm your children and the environment. Household Hazardous Waste (unused fuels, used motor oil, transmission fluid, fertilizers, pesticides, paint, thinners, antifreeze, fluorescent light tubes and other chemicals) can be dropped off free from Salt Lake County Homes at the locations below. (For Eagle Scout projects, please contact the Salt Lake County Health Department at 385-468-3862).
Other Collection Facilities
- Trans-Jordan Landfill
10473 S. Bacchus Hwy (U-111)
South Jordan, UT
Monday - Saturday, 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Salt Lake Valley County Health Department Household Hazardous Waste Facility
6030 W. California Ave. (1400 S.)
Salt Lake City, UT
Monday - Saturday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
SLCoHD HHW Facility
- Sandy City Public Works A.B.O.P.**
8775 South 700 West
Monday - Friday, 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM
**This location only accepts Antifreeze, Batteries, motor Oil and Paint. Acceptable batteries are car/boat/RV, household (AA, AAA, 9V, etc) and rechargables. Antifreeze and oil must be in containers that can be left at the facility.
Residents can dispose of up to 10 gallons of paint and/or 5 gallons of oil at any one time.
This service is for residents only. For business waste, please contact the Trans-Jordan Landfill at 801-569-8994 or the Salt Lake County Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 801-541-4078.
A prescription drug drop-off box is available at the main police station located at 10000 S. Centennial Parkway Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. For additional drop-off locations, click here.
Flourescent Light Tube Collection Program
4' and compact fluorescent light bulbs can be dropped off free of charge at the following locations:
Salt Lake County Libraries:
- Bingham Creek, 4834 W. 9000 South, West Jordan.
- Calvin Smith, 810 E. 3300 South, Millcreek.
- Whitmore, 2197 E. Fort Union Blvd. (about 7000 South), Cottonwood Heights.
- Draper, 1136 E. Pioneer Road (12400 South), Draper.
- Hunter, 4740 W. 4100 South, West Valley City.
- West Valley, 2880 West 3650 South, West Valley City.
- Magna, 8339 W. 3500 South, Magna.
- South Jordan, 10673 S. Redwood Road (1700 West), South Jordan.
- R.V. Tyler, 8041 Wood St. (55 West), Midvale.
- Sandy Library, 10100 S. Petunia Way (1400 East), Sandy.
...or any Salt Lake City Library or the City and County building.
In addition, compact fluorescent light bulbs may be taken to the customer service desk at any Home Depot location.
This service is for residential customers only! No commercial bulbs accepted.
Prevent Pollution - Recycle Used Oil - "Put Used Oil In It's Place"
"It's against the law to dispose of used oil in the ground (such as road oiling, dust control, or weed suppressants), in a landfill, or in any sewer, surface or groundwater. Do not mix your used oil with any other substances, such as antifreeze, carburetor cleaners, paint thinner, or other solvents." (SB 12)
To find out where you can properly dispose of used oil for free recycling, call 1-800-458-0145.
For more information, call the Salt Lake County Health Department at 801-541-4078, or visit their website SLCoHD HHW Facility.