- Building Permit Application
- Information Sheet - permit submittal requirements (Residential)
- Information Sheet - permit submittal requirements (Commercial)
A Building Permit is required for all construction within Sandy City. As per the International Building Code, permits are required when: "Any owner or authorized agent who tends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.
Work exempt from building permit (not a comprehensive listing):
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 200 square feet.
- Fences not over 7 feet high
- Retaining walls not over 4 feet high
- Sidewalks and driveways (you will need a permit from the Public Works Department)
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep, are not greater than 5,000 gallons and are entirely above ground
It is in your best interest to contact the planning department in our office if you plan on building any of these outdoor items, as their requirements are still in place, even if you do not need a permit from the building department. You may contact them at 801-568-7256