Please use our online job application to apply for any of the jobs listed below.
Police Officer - LATERAL ONLY
- Type:Full Time, Benefitted
- Salary/Pay Rate:$21.85 - $34.54/hour. Lateral Officers will be given year for year credit towards salary and vacation accrual.
- Posted Date:09/28/2018
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Department will begin reviewing applications October 08, 2018. Position may close any time after this date. However, applications will continue to be accepted until position is filled.
SUMMARY: Under general supervision of a Police Sergeant, provides a range of routine and emergency police services. Enforces criminal laws and county and city ordinances.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS Must pass and maintain Utah LEO POST certification. Maintain a valid Utah Driver’s License. Must be able to qualify on a yearly basis in required areas such as firearms, emergency vehicle operations, department physical ability course and arrest control, unless excused by Chief of Police. Must attend mandatory training as defined by department policy. A one-year probationary period is a prerequisite to this position. Knowledge of Criminal and traffic laws; rules of proper verbal and written communication; ethical principles; principles of self-defense. Great responsibility for the care, condition and use of materials, equipment, money and tools; great responsibility for decisions that affect the lives and well-being of others; use of sound judgment when deciding when to take police action and what situations warrant an arrest. Must be able to type at least 30 words per minute (typing test required).
Utah State Statute requires that a peace officer:
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment as a peace officer.
- May not have been convicted of an offense involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence and/or domestic violence.
- May not have been convicted of the unlawful use, sale or possession of a controlled substance in the past five years.
- May not have been convicted of a crime for which the applicant could have been punished by imprisonment in a federal penitentiary of this or another state.
- Must be a High School graduate
- Must demonstrate good moral character as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be free of any physical, emotional, or mental conditions that might adversely affect the performance of duty as a peace officer.
Lateral Officers will be given year for year credit towards salary and vacation accrual.
To qualify for the Sandy Police Department Lateral Entry Program, an applicant must meet the following:
In-State and Out-of-State Candidates:
- A candidate must have a current Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification as a Law Enforcement Officer. Out-of-state applicants must successfully pass Utah POST Waiver exam prior to employment
- Candidates would be required to meet all minimum requirements to become a Sandy City Police Officer.
- Candidates must fill out an employment application for the Sandy Police Department, resume, addendum form and attach a copy of their Utah P.O.S.T. certification. Out-of-state applicants must attach a copy of their current state P.O.S.T. certification.
- Candidates must successfully complete all stages of the Sandy Police Officer Testing Process. The testing stages include the following: Screening of Personal History Statement, Typing Test (30 W.P.M.), Physical Agility Test, Interview, Background Investigation, Psychological Examination and Evaluation, Chief’s Interview, Medical Examination, and Chemical Screen.
Note: Candidates not qualifying during any phase of testing, excluding the psychological test phase, may reapply and test for a position during any new hiring process. Candidates not passing the psychological phase of testing, will not be allowed to retake the psychological test for a minimum two year time period from the original job posting date.
See Job Description:
All Applicants will be required to submit the following documents at the time of application: