If You Smoke. Put it out. All the way. Every time.
Did you know that the number one cause of home fire deaths is smoking? On average, 1,000 people (smokers and non-smokers) are killed in smoking-related fires every year. Most people are asleep when the fires occur. It's important that you begin to practice fire safety in your home today!
With a few simple steps, smokers and those who live with smokers can protect themselves from smoke-related fires caused by smoking materials like cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. For example:
- If you smoke, smoke outside.
- Whenever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays.
- Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out.
- Check chairs and sofas for cigarette butts.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
- If you smoke, fire-safe cigarettes are better.
- Be alert!
- If You Smoke, Put it Out. All the Way. Every Time.
Please forward this important fire safety message to your friends and relatives. It could be the message that saves a life!
For more information on the Smoking & Home Fires Campaign, please contact Sandy Fire Department at (801) 568-2930. You can also visit the U.S. Fire Administration's Web site for campaign information and view an incredible video that demonstrates just how fast a fire started by smoking materials can spread!