Sandy City Fire Marshal is located at
Sandy City Fire Station #31
9010 South 150 East
Sandy UT 84070
Fire Inspection Fees
- See the fee schedule on pages 147-148 of the FY2019 Budget Book
Business Inspection Check List
- Exit door must be able to be opened from the inside without a key or special knowledge, and minimum effort.
- All designated exits and exit ways must remain clear and unobstructed at all times.
- Exit door must open fully with minimum effort.
- Doors installed, as part of required fire assemblies shall be maintained.
- Exit signs must be illuminated if designed to do so.
- Exit sign must clearly indicate direction of egress.
- Emergency lights and power equipment must be maintained and operable.
- Fire extinguishers are to be located no more than 75 feet travel distance.
- Fire extinguisher must be in a cabinet or mounted at a maximum height above the floor as indicated in the International Fire Code (IFC).
- Fire extinguisher must be unobstructed at all times or signs are needed to indicate location of fire extinguisher.
- The proper type (rating and size) must be provided, minimum 2A 10BC or as indicated in IFC 906.3.
- Fire extinguisher must be inspected and certified annually or after use or be replaced as needed.
Fire Protection Equipment
- Access to stand pipes and fire protection equipment must be clear and open.
- Wrench and spare heads for each type and rating of sprinkler head used in the system must be provided.
- Provide copy of current annual automatic fire sprinkler system inspection and test record.
- Hood and spray booths with automatic fire sprinkler system must be inspected at least every six months.
- Commercial cooking hoods shall be equipped with a Class K portable fire extinguisher located within 30 feet.
- Fire protection equipment shall not be concealed, obstructed, or impaired.
- Fire department connections shall be equipped with listed plug and caps.
- Flammable material must be used/stored properly.
- Flammable material must be dispensed properly.
- Proper containers must be used to store or dispense flammable liquids.
- Approved spray booth required or is not in compliance.
- Storage must be maintained a minimum of 18 inches below sprinkler heads. Rack systems must be 6 inches below.
- Storage must be kept a minimum of 30 inches of electrical panels.
- Storage and accumulation of combustible materials inside and outside of building must be in accordance with IFC 304 and IFC 315.
- Combustible material shall not be stored in boiler rooms, electrical or mechanical equipment rooms.
- Clearance from combustible material must be maintained as per product listing, and/or other regulating codes.
- Combustion air and exhaust for products of combustion must be maintained.
- Portable heaters must have a 36-inch clearance from any combustible material.
- Extension cords must not be used as substitute for permanent wiring.
- Extension cords and flexible cords must be used properly and not be subjected to physical or environmental damage.
- Protective covers must be in place on all open boxes, outlets and panels.
- All defective wiring, fixtures and appliances must be repaired or replaced.
- Multi-plug adapters and strip plugs must be of approved type and used in approved manner.
- Electrical control panels and rooms must be properly marked to indicate purpose.
- Current Sandy City Business License for location and type of business.
- Premises identification requires approved address or numbers.
- Compressed gas cylinder must be secured.
- Can I use an extension cord? No, extension cords cannot be used for permanent wiring.
- Can I buy a fire extinguisher from the store to use in my business? Yes, if it is a 2A 10BC and you tape the receipt on the extinguisher to verify the date it was purchased on.
- Can I use a space heater under my desk? No, you must allow a 36 inch clearance from combustibles. So, you could use a space heater in your work area, but not under the desk.
- Plugging one multi-plug adapter into another multi-plug adapter. They must plug directly into the wall.
- No fire extinguisher. A fire extinguisher must be provided every 75 feet of travel distance in a work area.
- Fire extinguisher has not been replaced by expiration date. Fire extinguishers must be inspected or replaced annually.
- Business license is not displayed. The business license must be displayed at all times.
- Electrical wall plugs and light switches are not covered. All protective covers must be in place.