**NEW Fireworks Laws in Utah:
With the most recent changes in the state law, the Sandy Fire Department would also like to remind residents about changes in the selling and lighting of fireworks during the holidays.
Fireworks are allowed to be sold from:
- June 24th through July 25th
- December 29th through December 31st
- 2 days before and on Chinese New Year's Eve
Time frame for discharge:
July 4 - Two days before, day of and one day after
July 2nd - July 5th - 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM **Except for day of holiday until midnight
- July 24 - Two days before, day of and one day after
July 22nd - July 25th - 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM **Except for day of holiday until midnight
- New Year's Eve:
December 31st from 11:00 AM until 1:00 AM New Year's Day (January 1st)
- Chinese New Year Eve:
Chinese New Year's Eve from 11:00 AM until 1:00 AM Chinese New Year Day
Where can I discharge fireworks in Sandy?
- Map of Prohibited Areas for Fireworks in Sandy
- To enter your address, click the following Interactive Map
- Please note that you may not discharge fireworks in the areas marked in red.
- Salt Lake County Fireworks Restrictions Map for 2018
Sandy City is asking residents to exercise extreme caution during the dry days of summer, so that the life and safety of everyone in the city may be upheld.
Sandy City is not immune to the extreme fire hazards that plague many communities in the form of a wildfire. Conditions are often right for even the smallest opportunity of a fire, no matter the cause, to spread quickly throughout our city. The Sandy City Council has taken action to create fire restriction zones within the city in order to protect areas where the greatest risk of fire exists. Download maps of the restricted areas in Sandy below (please remember that any city or state park is also restricted).
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use sparklers or fountains in firework-restricted areas?
- Illegal use of fireworks within a fireworks restricted area are limited to a class C firework, which includes: fountains, aerials and things like ground flowers or parachutes.
- The items that can be used in a firework-restricted areas include novelties, such as: pop its, sparklers, snakes and smoke bombs.
If I live within a firework-restricted area where can I light my fireworks?
- Find a place within a non-restricted area, just make sure that you have permission if it is on private property.
In what ways has the public been notified of the restrictions?
- Sandy City and the fire department have informed the public through many different sources of media. The June Sandy City newsletter contained information with the new restrictions. There have also been several posts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Nextdoor regarding the new laws. Message boards will be posted on city streets and we currently have fireworks prohibited signs in as many of the restricted areas as we can. By law every firework stand is also required to post a map of the restricted areas, which we have provided them.
- Cherry bombs
- Roman candles
- Single or re-loadable mortars
- Ground salutes Any other explosive obtained outside of Utah borders.
The sale and use of fireworks are regulated by Utah State Statute and Sandy City Ordinance. An individual who violates these laws, negligently, recklessly or intentionally causes or spreads a fire through the discharge of a class C explosive is liable for the cost of suppressing the fire and any damages that the fire causes. The individual is also guilty of an infraction that is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, if they are discharging fireworks outside of the legal discharge times or in a restricted area. If the individual is a minor, the parent or legal guardian is liable for the costs and damages. If you have any questions concerning the boundaries, laws or ordinances as they relate to the sell or discharge of fireworks in Sandy City, please contact the Sandy City Fire Department at (801) 568-2930.
To report the illegal use of fireworks, please call 801-799-4231.
To report a fire or injury, please call 911.
Fireworks Safety Tips:
Sandy City Fire Department recommends to seek out a professional fireworks display; however, if you discharge fireworks please use caution and abide by the following safety tips:
Be a good neighbor. Communicate and be respectful with your fireworks use.
Use fireworks outdoors only.
If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them!
Always have water handy (a hose or buckets of water).
Only use fireworks as intended. DO NOT alter or combine.
Never re-light a "dud" firework (wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
Spectators should keep a safe distance from the fireworks.
The person lighting the fireworks should wear safety glasses.
Alcohol and fireworks do not mix! Have a "designated" person light fireworks.
Only persons over age 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers of any type.
DO NOT ever use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives; they can kill!Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department.
ONLY dispose of fireworks after they have cooled down and have been soaked in water.
Click for more Fireworks Safety and Information
If you have any questions regarding the prohibited areas for fireworks, please email us or contact us at (801) 568-2930.
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to a safe and fun holiday!