Is your home going to be unattended for an extended amount of time? If so, don't leave your home an easy target for a burglar. To reduce the possibility that your home will be burglarized while you are away use the following checklist to secure your property before you leave:
- Arrange with a trusted neighbor or relative to pick up and hold your mail and newspapers so they don't pile up. If this is not possible, notify your news carrier and the post office to hold these deliveries.
- Make arrangements to have the lawn mowed or walks shoveled while you are gone. Have a neighbor check daily to remove papers and circulars left on your door and in your yard. If desired have your garbage cans taken out and back in on pick up day. All these suggestions give your home an appeared to be lived-in look.
- If you have valuables in your home, take them to your bank deposit box or other secure location. If using a safe in the home, ensure it is bolted to a secure surface (ie; the floor). Deposit extra cash laying around into your bank account.
- Make sure all windows, doors, and locks are in good repair and that all sliding doors and windows are secured with a lock and bar or dowel or sliding bolt or security pin.
- Set timers to turn on lights and a radio or TV periodically to give your home a lived-in look.
- Arrange with a trusted neighbor or relative to watch your home and give them a spare key. Let them know where and how you can be reached in case of an emergency. Write their telephone number down so you can check with them during your time away. Let them know of anyone that might have legitimate access to the house while you are away. Alert them if you request a vacation watch through the Police Department.
- Make certain that all windows and doors are closed and locked. Lock your garage door(s) too! You may even opt to unplug your automatic garage door. Take a walk around the house and check that all doors and windows are properly secured.
- Lastly, fill out the below vacation watch request form to notify the Sandy Police Department that you are leaving and the details of your extended absence. While the Sandy Police Department cannot guarantee that your home will not be burglarized while you are gone, providing this information will allow Officers and Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS) to make extra patrols by your property and keep an eye out for anything suspicious. When requesting a vacation watch please provide the requested information at least three days before your departure.
The Vacation Watch service is free but is only available to those residents living inside incorporated Sandy City limits. Any requests for homes outside of incorporated Sandy City, Utah cannot be acknowledged.
Please keep in mind a vacation watch request does not guarantee a burglary will NOT happen. Follow the suggested guidelines above to reduce your risk of being a victim. Also, this request does NOT guarantee an Officer/VIPS will patrol your property daily. Officers/VIPS will patrol during times in which they are not responding to 9-1-1 calls or other calls for service.