Join The Winning Team!
The Sandy Police Department consists of 113 sworn officers and 36 civilian employees. The department proudly serves a population of approximately 94,000. The City of Sandy is 22.3 square miles and is located on the southeast end of Salt Lake County.
Our police department operates a patrol division, investigations division, and administrative division. In addition to the basic duties of each of these divisions our department has several specialty units and collateral assignments. These units and assignments include Motors, Community Response Team, Family Crimes, Accident Reconstruction, School Resource, SWAT, K-9, Hostage Negotiations, Bicycles Patrol, Metro-Gangs, and Metro-Narcotics.
The police department is constantly looking for qualified, motivated, idealistic candidates to maintain the high quality of law enforcement service that the department strives to provide to the citizens of Sandy.
About the Police Officer Position
The police officer position has a salary range of $40,393 to $66,934 per year and includes benefits such as:
(Lateral Entry Program for qualifying applicants.)
- Health & Dental Insurance: The City provides each employee a benefits allowance that they can use to purchase medical and dental insurance. Employees can choose from two health plan options through PEHP and three dental plan options through Dental Select. The City may also deposit money into an HSA or HRA for employees as well.
- Life Insurance: Group term life insurance is provided for all regular employees. The amount of coverage varies from $25,000 to $50,000 depending on job classification.
- Vacation: Employees receive 12 days per year during years 1-7 increasing to 15 days per year during years 8-14 and 18 days per year at year 15. Vacation accrual is prorated for part-time employees.
- Holidays: Employees receive 13 paid holidays and 2 days of personal leave.
- Sick Leave: Employees receive 11 days per year to be used in case of sickness or disability. Sick leave accrual is prorated for part-time employees.
- Long Term Disability Insurance: Coverage is available for employees. The amount of benefit is 66 2/3% of salary.
- Wellness Program: The City offers a wellness program to help employees gain knowledge, skills and motivation to improve the quality of their lives and well-being. Employees have access to a cardio and weight room at City Hall and receive a free family membership to the Alta Canyon Sports Center and discounted golf passes to River Oaks Golf Course. Other benefits include health screenings, flu shots and partial reimbursements for gym membership fees, sporting and fitness program costs, and weight loss program sign-up fees.
- Employee Assistance Program: A counseling and consultation service is provided to help employees and eligible family members with a wide range of personal issues.
- Flexible Spending Reimbursement Accounts: Available to help employees save taxes on medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Full-time employees may receive tuition assistance for approved work related courses. Repayment of up to $1500 per year tuition reimbursement.
- Retirement: Sandy City contributes into the Utah State Retirement System and into a 401(k) account for employees. Employees may also choose to participate in a 457, Roth IRA or Roth 401(k).
- Other Benefits: Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty Leave, Court Witness Leave, UTA Eco-Passes, and there are no social security deductions.
Utah State Statute (P.O.S.T.) requires that a peace officer:
- Be a US citizen
- Be at least 21 years of age
- May not have been convicted of an offense involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence, and / or domestic violence.
- May not have been convicted of the unlawful use, sale, or possession of a controlled substance 5 years prior to application.
- May not have been convicted of a crime for which the applicant could have been punished by imprisonment in a federal penitentiary of this or another state.
- Must be a High School graduate
- Must demonstrate good moral character as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be free from any physical, emotional, or mental conditions that might affect adversely the performance of duty as a peace officer.
- Must be able to type at least 30 wpm.
In addition to P.O.S.T. requirements, Sandy City requires applicants to:
- Complete a Sandy City application for employment
- Pass the Utah P.O.S.T. entrance exam with 80% overall score or be Utah P.O.S.T. certified
- Have never been convicted of a felony
- Possess a valid Utah Driver License
- Pass physical fitness standards
- Complete Sandy City Police Department addendum for Police officer / Auxiliary officer form (see Police Officer addendum)
Intersted in Applying?
To be notified when the next police officer testing process will begin, please call the Sandy City Personnel Division at (801) 568-7151 or fill out the online job interest card. By filling out the job interest card, you are not applying for the police officer position, but will be notified when the department begins a new hiring process.
Other department positions are filled as needed. If you are interested in civilian positions with the police department, you may visit the Human Resources page for a list of available positions, call (801) 568-7151 for more information, or fill out the online job interest card.
Online info at: www.how-to-become-a-police-officer.com