2017 Fall Shape Up Walks
Join us starting Monday, August 28, 2017 for the Healthy Sandy Shape Up, an 8-week program that helps families lead healthier lives. You can register for the program online or in person at the first walk. After you register, download and start using a points tracker . You earn points for each program activity you complete. Your point card must be validated at each activity to qualify for prizes. You are responsible for keeping your point tracker.
Fall 2017 Session Calendar
(all walks start at 6pm; park/trail addresses on points tracker)
|Date||Park||# Laps||Challenge Park/Trail|
|AUG 28||Lone Peak Indoor||1 big lap (follows outer edge of park||Willow Creek|
||Alta Canyon Park
||2 loops around the park (Labor Day: no staff on site, walk on your own and report next week)
|| Dewey Bluth
|SEPT 11||Hidden Valley
1 big loop going up to the dirt trail on the east side OR 2 smaller loops on the paved path
|Dimple Dell Trail
2 1/2 loops around the outer edge of the park
River Oaks/Jordan River Parkway
2 laps around the soccer fields
|Bell Canyon Trail|
1 big loop going down and then back up the hill OR 2 smaller loops on the top of the park
||3 laps around outer edge of the park||Alta Canyon Park|
||Lone Peak Indoor
||N/A: Wrap-up event!||N/A|
- 8-week program. Maximum points per week=25, from 3 required challenges plus 2 challenges of your choice.
- Validate the walk, challenge and nutrition tracker at the weekly walks.
- Healthy Sandy Shape Up is ideal for families. Parents can customize age-appropriate challenges for their children.
- Talks by Alta View Hospital guest experts begin at 6:00 pm each week. Walk either before or "Walk with the Doc" after to discuss questions or concerns you may have.
- All participants who earn 150+ points will be entered in a prize drawing.
- Healthy Sandy Shape Up also counts as a session of the Healthy Sandy Summit challenge. The Summit is an annual comprehensive, personalized health program. Medallions are given for each completed session that can be attached to the walking stick.
Weigh-in is optional. Adults may choose to track weight loss. We recommend a gradual and healthy weight loss of 1 pound per week for those who need to lose weight. Check with your healthcare professional about weight loss recommendations.
Join community walks at parks in Sandy. Each time you complete the 1-mile walk, you'll earn points.
Extra challenges earn more points. Each week we'll e-mail you instructions for walking or hiking challenges, with easy and difficult options. Choose the challenge that's best for you. We encourage you to walk, swim, run and be physically active all week, but only the Monday walks and weekly challenges will count toward program points.
Earn points toward great prizes! Upon completion of the program, your points will be tabulated and entered into a drawing for fantastic prizes.
Habit Tracker: You can earn points each week for recording your eating and exercising habits. Present your tracker at the walks for validation.
Bring your family along! This is a great opportunity to spend time with family while encouraging exercise. Many trails are stroller and scooter friendly.
Follow us on Facebook.
Pick up your prizes! Final walk is at Lone Peak Park, 10140 South 700 East. All prizes will be awarded at this walk.
Shape Up Sandy is an initiative of the Healthy Sandy Partnership